Leading Those Around You Well
Being a leader is no small feat. The time, energy, and dedication that must go into leading others is a commitment. While it can often be daunting and discouraging, working to implement principles into your life each day, as a leader, will help place you in a position to lead. People often complicate what is challenging in this life, and the same is true in leadership.
“A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” – Rosalynn Carter, former first lady of the United States
Here are some principles you could implement today in order to lead those around you well:
- Be sincere. Don’t promise what you cannot deliver to people; this creates miscommunication and unmet expectations. Work to focus on how you can benefit your team.
- Know exactly what it is you want from your team. Too often, people make demands, not truly knowing what it is that they want. Before you make a request of others, understand what it is you are wanting and why you want it.
- Be empathetic. Work to ask yourself, “what does the other person want?” when dealing with others.
- When discussing the frustrations or shortcomings of others, look first to show your honest appreciation. If it is too challenging for you to find the good in your team, it is likely that they feel that coldness from you. No team functions well in that environment.
- Praise small improvements. Recognizing the work that others are putting in, even when certain goals are not perfected just yet, will place your team in a position to know that what they are doing matters.
When it comes to leadership, a large portion of success can be attributed to people skills. This does not mean that you must be an extrovert or even someone that enjoys being in front or in the spotlight. What it does mean is that you are responsible for guiding those around you, even if you feel they should know what to do in any given situation.
Finding ways to come alongside your team will always pay off in the long run. If you have a goal you want your people to achieve, help them reach that goal by intentionally encouraging, motivating, and equipping them to stick to that path.
Great leaders never stop growing and learning.
Professional coaching is one great resource to utilize for both developed leaders as well as new leaders.
At Converge, we want to see you succeed as a leader! Through our professional coaching, we ensure that you succeed thus leading your company and those around you to succeed as well. It can be isolating sometimes as a leader. You are asked to make big decisions. Through our professional coaching program we allow leaders to talk through the stresses they feel everyday with professionals that have dealt with the same struggles.
Reach out to us today to set up a Discovery Call! We at Converge look forward to seeing you succeed.